Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Eye Makeup - An Introduction to this blog...

Starting a blog is a commitment. Perhaps not a life-long commitment, but a commitment nevertheless. Between you and me, the idea for this blog has been seeded into my mind for quite some time. Only now have I had the time to actually sit down and bring it to fruition. In this post, I will do my best to answer some basic questions you, the reader, might have about me, the writer.

Q: Who?
A: The name's Jared. I am a young(ish) singer/songwriter. You can check out my music here.
Currently residing near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA. I am a lifelong music fan. Totally into the music of the past. Very uncertain about the music of the future. Trying to make the most of the present.

Q: Why?
A: Anyone who knows me well knows that I am not very opinionated except when it comes to music. I aim to use this blog for all musings musical that don't pertain to my own music.

Q: What's the name mean?
A: The name is of course inspired by The Who's tune "The Kids Are Alright". I chose this name mostly because I worry about the stuff that kids are listening to these days. Like any good elder, I worry for them. I worry that they aren't getting the musical nourishment I got. This blog shall be my gift to them. If the older kids like it too, well that's a bonus!

Q: Am I actually asking these questions?
A: Well reader, I hope you aren't disappointed but I actually came up with these questions. Hopefully they mirror any question you might have.

So there you have it. My blog 101.

Are you ready to rock? (cheese ball line, I know.)
Well let's boogie. (yikes!)

My main concern with modern top 40 music:

Very simply, video killed the radio star. These days, there's no such thing as a radio star. Most kids are discovering music on YouTube. Thus, the visual has become more important than the aural.

Best hair since A Flock of Seagulls
Case in point, English electro-poppers La Roux. They had a major breakout hit this year with their track "Bulletproof". While the song is a bit of lean meat in terms of composition, I have to admit that it's catchy and has a unique sound. Indeed, the duo and their production techniques are reminiscent of 80s powerhouse Eurythmics (kiddos, that's the group where that Annie Lennox woman you saw on Dancing With The Stars that one night got her start).

However, after having a look at the video for "Bulletproof" on youtube, I was blown away (and quite appalled) by the viewer comments. Not one comment about the music. Countless comments about lead singer Eleanor Jackson's hair and eye makeup.

I heaved a great sigh and hung my head. So this is how popular music is now judged. No wonder Taylor Swift is going places.

Sadly, this is nothing new. When MTV first fired up their video machines, a lot of performers knew their time on the charts was over because they were cursed with "faces for radio".

So why am I complaining?
Well as a musician myself, I cannot help but be concerned. There's a lot of us struggling to get heard while these good looking youngsters are making millions on their mundane melodies full of gimmicks and references to text messaging.

"What's this thing in my hand again?"
Needless to say I have a bit of a thorn in my side. So this is where I shall perform all my thorn extracting. You have been warned.
(Taylor Swift, this means you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment